Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Service

Jimmy had to get parental permission to enlist because he was not yet 18.  He was very proud of his service in the 82nd Airborne.

Imagine the mindset of a seventeen year old  back then; the Vietnam War was winding down, but still - Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes any chance he got. Ever the thrill seeker!

This was at jump school graduation. We were married just about three years after this picture was taken and I know that if sport parachuting hadn't been so damn expensive he would have been pulling me out of an open plane door except for the fact that my mother lied to him and told him I had a heart condition. I don't. I have the heart of an ox with an odd beat is all. It was her heart that she was worried about. He never told me any of this until many years had passed.

No comments: